By Shar Jason.
Mediumship has come a long way in recent years, with help from ‘celebrity’ mediums on TV demonstrating how they connect with people in spirit. Movies in the 90’s such as ‘Ghost’ and ‘The Sixth Sense’ helped it to gain popularity and become mainstream. Mediumship has gone from being old ladies hiding behind a crushed velvet curtain with a crystal ball, to the fashionable Tyler Henry ‘The Hollywood Medium’ on the E network. Now is a great time to learn how to develop your mediumship skills, with endless courses and workshops to choose from. But can everyone become a medium?
Are you born a medium or can anyone be taught?
Many people don’t even realise that they have natural mediumistic abilities. They may have had spooky experiences during their life, but just thought everyone goes through something similar. Some people are so scared of the mysterious things that they saw, felt, or heard as a child, that they buried the memories deep inside themselves, forgetting that it ever happened. I believe it’s a bit like any skill. You know the kids at school that were just natural at math? They just seemed to get it and went on to be engineers or accountants. Other children could pass the subject but had to get ongoing tutoring and work really hard. They just weren’t natural at it. Natural mediums can remember that they have this unusual gift, by taking some time to recall the strange experiences they had in their younger years. Everyone has psychic abilities and can improve their clairs through commitment and practice, though mediumship may not be as straightforward.
This is how I figured it out
I didn’t know that I was a natural medium until I was into my 30’s. Looking back now, it seems so obvious, but when you’re in the middle of trying to find your life purpose, things get a little hazy. As a teenager, I spent years waking up during the night with people in spirit standing at the end of my bed (yes, I see dead people!). My little chihuahua Joey tried to protect me by barking at them. After a few years I did eventually stop seeing them, but by then I was scared of the unknown and very keen to be a normal teenager. Life goes on but you can only repress this gift for so long. If you’re meant to use your mediumship skills in this life, Spirit will find a way to remind you! For me, it was in my dreams. I would dream about having conversations with people who would tell me they were deceased and what their life was like. After a spiritual awakening and a lot of soul searching, I started to remember and embrace my gift.
So let’s check out 10 signs which show that you are a natural medium:
1. You are sensitive to everything – being sensitive to Spirit, unfortunately, means that you are sensitive to this planet as well. Do you have food intolerances, can’t handle perfumes, and get a lovely skin flare up when you touch chemicals? Your sensitivity is a gift and a challenge. It is very important as a medium to reduce the toxins in your body that you are sensitive to, so it can really help to eat an organic diet and drink filtered water.
2. You suffer from glandular issues – maybe you have a thyroid condition or adrenal fatigue? The spirit world uses your glands to connect, which is why many mediums are overweight and tired. They have been unknowingly burning through their glands while connecting with people in spirit. Self-care practices including a good diet, lots of rest, and things like yoga, are a must for mediums.
3. Growing up you saw some strange things, particularly when you were alone – people in spirit know when a medium is around and will try and make a connection, even if you’re a child. Children are generally more connected to the spirit world as it hasn’t been long since they were there themselves. Maybe when you were a child you saw people in spirit in your bedroom or heard them talk to you. Night time may have been quite eventful and you may have opted for a nightlight for many years.
4. Your favourite genre of movies and books is the paranormal – whether it is books about UFO’s or TV shows about ghosts, you thrive on understanding the supernatural. What were your favourite shows when you were a child? Were you the child reading about going back in time and watching the movie ‘Poltergeist’? It’s no accident, this was a sign of things to come! I loved the TV show ‘Touched by an Angel’ when I was growing up (and I still do!)
5. Dreaming about dead people – this is very common amongst mediums who aren’t using their mediumship skills in their waking life. For some mediums, they will feel people in spirit drawing near as they are falling asleep, while for others, spirit people will appear to them in their dreams. They might want to tell you how they died or their name when they were living. Rather than it being a message to communicate to someone that is living, it is often a sign to embrace your mediumship skills in your waking life.
6. Your blood relatives see unusual things as well – being a natural medium is hereditary so if your mother, grandfather or aunty tells you paranormal stories about what they see (or saw as a child), it’s a good indication you may also have the gift. It’s common for family members to have repressed that side of themselves and have forgotten all about it, until you have a chat on the topic, or they have a spiritual awakening.
7. You get woken up during the night – this is particularly common for developing mediums when they are opening up. People in spirit may notice the medium and take the opportunity to make contact during the night. If you’ve ever woken up suddenly and felt like you’re being watched, you might just be! Don’t worry, no-one in spirit can hurt you, but it might be time to set some firm boundaries with your Spirit Guides about when you want communication from those who have passed.
8. No fear of death – even from a very young age, you had an understanding that death is not a big deal so there’s no reason to fear it. Maybe you decided to work in an industry such as aged care or emergency services, as you knew you could help people who were transitioning. You might be the one everyone turns to when there’s a death in the family as you have a natural ability to guide others through grief.
9. Always seeing things – weird sparkles out of the corner of your eyes, a blob of white mist, something flying into the corner of the room that is not really there. Often people in spirit can look like haze. If you regularly look around the room and think to yourself, “what was that?”, maybe you don’t need your eyes checked, you’re just a medium!
10. You are jealous of mediums – this may seem obvious to some or strange to others, but this is a strong sign you too could be a medium. There is a reason why you watch a medium on TV and get that feeling of envy, or you go to get a reading from a medium and get a flutter in your stomach telling you that you could do that too. Jealousy is a gift that helps to point you in the right direction in life. If this is happening to you, take it as a sign.
So you’ve checked off nearly everything on the list and realised, WOW, I could be a medium after all. So now what? It takes a lot to go from being a natural medium to working as a professional medium. It can take many years to fine-tune your skills while doing lots of self-development work. The best mediums really understand how their mind works and how to work with their ego voice. They have healed as much personal baggage as possible so they are a clear channel for Spirit, and have built a strong relationship with their Spirit Guides.
Know that if you have this natural ability, you are meant to use it in some way. There are no accidents! Maybe it is so you can become a professional stage medium. Perhaps it is so you can be an excellent palliative care nurse. You may use your mediumship to help your family through the death of someone very close to you all. If you have this exciting and unusual skill, now might just be the time to embrace it, and take the first step in what can be an amazing process of self-discovery and transformation. How are you going to use your gift?
Further Reading & Resources:
Develop your intuitive abilities eCourse
Essential steps to develop your intuitive abilities & communicate with your Spirit Guides. Connect even if you never have before.
- The biggest myth about being intuitive.
- The 2 essential (but widely unknown) steps for intuitive development.
- How you personally are wired to receive guidance.
- The formula that more than two thousand of my students have used to develop their intuitive abilities.
How can I find a medium near me to teach me how to use my gift?
What if you only have about half of the ones listed ? Thanks
I would suggest finding a spiritualist church in your area if you can find one. It’s a free way to develop your skills. If you don’t have one in your area, then there are many courses/workshops around as well as mentors online. I would start with a beginners course in a group setting in your area, as practising on other people is a large part of the development. Good luck!
I would say it would be worth doing a mediumship course and seeing if it feels like a good fit for you. If you’ve ever been able to see or hear people in spirit at any age then that’s a big yes, with any of the other signs then it’s a strong possibility. Good luck!
I felt something touch my feet when I was a kid! And I also saw a big hairy face with red eyes. But I remember I used to see some people but never their face around the bed once like 3 or 4. I have always been very curious about this. Would that make me a medium?
I have been seeing spirit in by bedroom since I was 5 and I was given my first deck of Tarot by a landlord in a bar who was listening to me chat to my sister. I was 21. I now run my own practice as ‘Psychic Sybella’ as a Psychic Medium. The Clairs came quite easily but the medium side has taken a great deal more effort.
I meditate and speak to my guide and listen more intently then I used to, whilst reading for clients that is. I sit and listen rather then talk non stop about what I see in the cards. That is my tip, deep breathing and calmness and listen.
I do have a habit of picking up earthbound spirits which I find difficult but I believe spirit wishes me to be a rescue worker. So that is yet another challenge I am over coming
Like you though, I ignored it for many years, I loved the ghost books as a child though and used to tell the stories at school.
I noticed I might be a medium while doing aura readings for people – after entering a client’s emotional space, which I usually access by looking at their colors, I would very often see somebody just standing there, waiting to be noticed. I would describe their physical and personality characteristics, sometimes hearing a name or other info, and it was always someone the client knew! After this happened in almost every reading, I began to realize it was a thing. Because, you know, duh. 😀
Most of the characteristics in this article apply to me too, especially extreme sensitivity to the environment, but I didn’t notice a lot of spirits around me as a child. That ability showed up much later in life, and I only figured it out somewhat by accident. So if you don’t think you have it, try it anyway. You might be surprised!
I would say that you are a medium. Not sure what the hairy face would be, but the rest of it sounds like standard natural mediumship ability. It’s not always easy to get the ability back, but it can be fun trying.
I have been very psychic all my life. I’ve done very accurate readings and mind blowing true dreams, but for the last 2yrs it’s all stopped. Could you please help me understand why this has happened? Thank you.
My third eye opened 6yrs ago after my mom passed. Someone held my hand my life changed seeing souls in my minds eyes. Numbers words ..I see the sparkles and other things. I am psychic medium.
Yes mediumship can be slow and frustrating to develop. When I do readings I just try to let Spirit work through me – mediumship, psychic, coaching – whatever they want to do. I find this allows it flow better rather than trying to force one particular area. Not always exactly what the client wants, but usually what they need to hear!
Good advice. It is a fun modality for people to at least try so why not!
It’s funny how we don’t realise what is happening with mediumship. Perhaps because it is just a natural ability?
Good luck with everything.
Hi Anna, as a kid, I did ‘see’ some unusual stuff like a robot figure, green eyes on wall. Scratching on the windows but never actually seen dead ppl. I do love to watch Super natural programs and yes and am attracted to and wish I cld do what a medium does. My fav Programmes are Long Island Medium and Kim Russo of the Haunting of and Henry Tyler. I loved touch by an Angel and the Show Medium. Does that make me a Medium?
There can be lots of reasons. Sometimes life just gets in the way and practical matters have to be your focus, it could be stress, you might just be repressing it subconsciously due to fear from past lives or this life, so it’s still there but you don’t realise it. You would do well with a coach/teacher or psychic development class. It doesn’t go away, it’s just a process. Good luck!
Yes it sounds like you are! Someone close to you passing is a common way for your gifts to be reactivated. All the best.
I’m not Anna, but I can answer. I used to see strange coloured lights on my wall when I was a child so that sounds similar. Plus the interest in mediums is a big hint. I would think that it’s possible. I would do a mediumship course if I were you.
Hi Shar! Thanks for the fun article! I’m 33 years old and have been seeing “white lights” around everything since I was 17.
I’m not sure what that is, but I also start feeling kind of “high”, like I lose my sense of reality…
I’ve tried mediumship development on Facebook groups, but I don’t think I did well.
So maybe this mist is something completely different?
Thank you again for your article and your YouTube channel! I love your tarot videos ❤️
I’ve been interested in the paranormal since I was a child (I even used to write reports on the subject and play _Poltergeist_ with my dolls and dollhouse!), my mother and aunt are quite psychic and have seen spirits, and I’ve been obsessively studying intuitive development over the last year, but I can’t recall ever having had contact with a spirit. And here’s the thing: when I do psychic development tests or exercises, I absolutely stink at them. Maybe I’m just a wannabe? What do you think?
Hi Shar – Thankyou so much for this post. So timely!
As I have been progressing through Anna’s courses and developing my clairs further I have felt a pull towards mediumship. Earlier this week I had asked for spiritual guidance/ validation that this was an area to develop and as a result had actually emailed Anna with a question regarding the intuitive reading course and mediumship.
Your wonderful blog post was the first thing I saw online a couple of mornings later – imagine my surprise to make the connection between my chemical sensitivities and thyroid being burnt out along with almost every other point describing me to a T.
I really appreciate this article and the validation it has given me on my journey.
So I realized I could speak to the dead at about 8 or nine years old and I’ve been trying to develop ever since. I’ve been purchasing as many books on mediumship as I can since there are no spiritualist churches in my area, but sadly there is only so much I can learn from books. I’ve also looked for mentors online but they all charge money I don’t have.
Would there be any way I could find a mentor willing to teach me for free, as I’m barely getting by with money as it is?
I’m having a bit of a struggle trying to figure out what’s going on with me. Reading your post about chemical sensitivities, thyroid issues, although mine has gone the opposite and I can’t gain any weight.
I have always felt different as a child growing up and I felt as if I could see the outcome of both good and bad scenarios. I’m very intuitive and I used to have very vivid dreams, not so much anymore though. After my father passed, I would hear him when I was drifting off or just before I’d wake up. Something has touched my hand while I’m sleeping a few times. I frequently wake up at 3:44 or 4:44 am and my sleep is horrible now. Insomnia at its greatest… I also have a tendency to look at the clock and it’s either a time endin in 44 or 11:11.
I recently had to put my dog of 15 yrs down and now I’m constantly seeing orbs, sometimes up to 30 at a time in my security cameras both inside and out. Now, I’m seeing them out of the corner of my eyes. The scary thing is that when I’m feeling all of these energies around me, I’m loaded with brain fog, lots of brain fog for years now! I worked in a hospital and it was even worse for I had to eventually leave my job. This is around the time in 2009 when the chemical sensitivities got really bad. I never put two and two together until I read your blog.
Can you tell me what all of this means?
Thank you for all that you do,
Well it started with a series of mystical experiences for me followed by a “tap on the shoulder ” from my family who have passed over telling me through messages from other Mediums that it was time for me , so “Get on with it!” .
So much has happened in the last three years that I have to read and reread my journals on a regular basis.
Basically I got a big push from Spirit. I am 55 and it took me 50 years to wake up.
Hi Shar. I’m just now getting a chance to catch up on all my blog reading, and hope you are still reading/responding to comments. I really enjoyed this article. I never thought I was a medium but looking over this checklist I have to wonder . . . I’m only sensitive to smells, only had adrenal fatigue for a short time in my early 40s (I thought from heavy PTA volunteer burn-out!) never saw spirits that I remember and only dream about dead people that I know. But everything else seems spot on. Could I possibly be one? It’s been a while, because I definitely think I’ve pushed it to the back of my mind, but I always feel someone around me — especially at night, right before I fall asleep or if I wake up in the middle of the night. And I’ve been woken up in the middle of the night. I’ve smelled the tobacco and powder of my deceased paternal grandmother. I’ve felt something/someone sit on the bed beside me. I have no fear of death. In the past few years, I’ve had two close family friends that passed and I was disappointed I didn’t make it to the hospital in time before they passed which made me feel like a freak. I see stuff out of the corner of my eyes a lot and hear what I describe as a drop or rise in frequency several times a week. I DO get jealousy of mediums ability to connect with those that have passed but I do NOT want to see them! Does this sound like it to you?
i have a question, this may sound very “newbie”ish but at the same time, I haven’t started the coarse yet. Iv always wanted to be a psychic medium. I don’t think I am a natural medium, so is this something I can accomplish? iv been through a LOT of struggle in the past month, and I’m still struggling hard, but I’m trying to now start developing my intuitive abilities with the coarse since I have a lot of time. After I develop my intuitive skills do you think that maybe becoming a medium is an option? I wish i knew a little more on this topic.