Note from Anna: this is a guest article from Shar Jason, a psychic medium from Australia. In this article she shares her interesting story of spiritual awakening, along with 10 common signs you are going through an awakening of your own!
Over to Shar…
What is a Spiritual Awakening?
Spiritual awakenings have become almost fashionable. Everyone seems to be having one, from Jim Carrey to Russell Brand. But what really is a spiritual awakening, and how will you know if you’re having one?
A spiritual awakening is when you start to question your existence – you can think of it like the Matrix movie; you know the part where Keanu Reeves’ character Neo takes the red pill instead of the blue, and begins to understand the truth of his reality.
Not everyone will go through one, or needs to go through during this life, and this is because you will only have a spiritual awakening if it is going to help you to achieve your life purpose in some way. It’s not about how advanced you are as a soul, but is more to do with helping you learn whatever it is you are meant to learn in this life. For example, if you are here to learn about material wealth and success in business, then a spiritual awakening may be the last thing you need; but if you’re here to learn about being a healer, it may be more likely that on the soul level, you opt for a spiritual awakening to help you get there.
How Spiritual Awakenings Begin…
So how does a spiritual awakening start? Well, quite often it’s a significant traumatic event that can kick things off…things that can be really tough, like a loved one passing away, a relationship breakdown, or even bankruptcy. Events like these may have the effect of forcing you to look introspectively at your life, and this process can bring you to the realisation that there is much more to life than you initially thought.
My Own Spiritual Awakening Story Began This Way
I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life after I finished school, so I tried lots of different things in an effort to find my place in the world. I was a truck driver in the Army Reserves, a police officer and then a flight attendant, all by the time I was 25.
I was searching for something, but wasn’t sure what that something was. What I did discover was that those jobs were not it. So what did I do? I did what a lot of folks do and chased the almighty dollar, thinking that material wealth would satisfy my desire for a meaningful and happy existence. I started on a journey to become a professional investor, and devoted all of my time to starting and running multiple businesses, day trading on the stock market, residential property investment, and anything else I could think of to make more money. All of this focus resulted in financial success to a pretty respectable level…Great result right? Well, not quite.
Instead of the money satisfying me, it was never enough. Never enough to make me feel happy, or fulfilled, and strangely enough the busier I was and the more money I made, the more tired, dissatisfied and unfulfilled I felt. I actually felt worse, and could not work out why! I became fatigued, stressed out, depressed and sick, both physically and psychologically. This went on for nearly four years, until finally my world fell apart.
With some help from the Global Financial Crisis my share portfolio essentially went up in smoke, and my other investments also took a tumble. It got to a stage where I wasn’t well enough to work in my business anymore, and had to simply walk away. I say simply, but there was nothing simple about it as it was the last remaining remnant of the success I once had been (or so I thought anyway). I had hit rock bottom – and this was my ‘dark night of the soul’. The world as I knew it was caving in, and while it was so tough to live with at the time, it really was the best thing that has ever happened to me. While it’s a pretty grim sounding story, that sequence of events was the catalyst for the very early stages of my spiritual awakening.
I didn’t know anything about awakenings at the time, rather I was just trying to ‘find myself’, and my life purpose because it really seemed that I’d failed up to that point. I started pondering “what is the point to all of this?” Learning about spirituality was about as far removed from the money-focused approach I’d taken to get me to the very dark place I’d landed, but it was precisely because it was so far removed that it made sense for me to investigate it further.
As you can imagine I had a lot of work to do, so I launched into a five year chapter of my life during which I read an excessive number of Sylvia Browne books, cried many times while watching Oprah, listened to many Tony Robbins CD’s (yes this was a while ago!), and way too many hours in meditation. Once I started I just couldn’t get enough of it!
The funny thing is, I came from a family of women who were psychically gifted to varying degrees, and as a young girl I had chosen to block out those gifts. Once I opened myself up to embracing this part of my life, those gifts started to return and strengthen. I started getting swamped with precognitive dreams – dreams that come true in real life – I would shock family members with diagnoses of illnesses and predictions of natural disasters. Then my clairs started kicking in. I got strong visuals when I closed my eyes, could hear weird voices that weren’t actually there, and just knew things about people. It was unsettling and exciting at the same time.
The part that lots of people don’t tell you about with spiritual awakenings is the scary self-development work. The past will come back to be healed and there is no avoiding this part of the process. From inner child work to shadow work I battled with life traumas, my ego and my demons. Now many years later, I work professionally as a psychic medium. My level of awakening is constantly evolving, and is always challenging me. I know I will never get to an end point with it, and it is now just a part of my life, but I’ve never felt so happy and really do feel on track for the first time in my life. Once you jump on that awakening train, there is no turning back so strap in and enjoy the ride!
You may be thinking, “Well how do I know if I’m going through a spiritual awakening?”
If you are reading this blog post and are interested in the topic, it’s probably a pretty good sign that it may be happening, as researching spiritual awakening is a significant part of the early stages.
Here are ten other signs to look out for:
1. You have heightened senses – you may start being bothered by loud noises, perfumes, or bright lights. Maybe you don’t want people to hug you anymore. As psychic senses develop, so do your five physical senses.
2. Your psychic senses start to improve – this can happen even if you’re not actively working at psychic development. You may keep feeling pressure or ringing in your ear, and this can be a sign of your clairaudience (psychic hearing) kicking in. An increase in the strength of your clairvoyance (psychic seeing) may become apparent through seeing a haze or other objects (which are not there) out of the corner of your eye. Maybe you feel like you are picking up on other people’s emotions more and are able to read people better. This can be a sign that your clairsentience (psychic feeling) is improving.
3. Dreams become vivid, weird and more frequent – your dreams may feature huge numbers of symbols, giving you the fun challenge of trying to interpret their meaning. You may have precognitive dreams, predicting future events. You may start to have lucid dreams (dreams where you realise that you are dreaming while you’re in the dream.)
4. Déjà vu moments and synchronicities increase – you keep getting that feeling that you’ve been through that event or had that conversation before. Things that you need keep falling into your lap. For example, you’ll think, “I really need to do a meditation course”, and then one minute later you meet someone who runs meditation courses…I love those moments!
5. The relationships between you and those closest to you starts to change – you may feel like your loved ones don’t understand you anymore, and this is because you are changing.
Some people may even drop away if they are not going to be a good match for the new and improved version of you. This can be one of the hardest parts of an awakening, and trust me it will pass. Although you can lose the odd person, once you get through the initial challenging phases, you will usually have stronger relationships with those around you.
6. You become overly emotional – becoming more sensitive to your surroundings also means you will become more sensitive emotionally. This may cause you to start dealing with past emotional issues, and you might have to change the type of people you associate with. It’s quite common for people awakening to not want to follow the news or social media anymore.
7. Weird sensations on your body – you may start noticing that you get tingles on your leg, or warm spots on your arm. This is particularly noticeable in the area of your chakras as they are being activated more through your awakening. Perhaps you get a pressure or headache right on the top of your head. This can relate to the opening of your crown chakra. You may also get tingles on your third eye area as this chakra opens.
8. Children and animals seem to like you more – perhaps you’re starting to feel like a Disney Princess as birds want to land on your shoulder, or what is usually an angry unapproachable cat jumps up onto your lap for a cuddle. This is because you are raising your vibration and animals and children can sense it. As I’m personally a HUGE animal lover, this one was (and still is) a real treat for me.
9. Seeing repeating numbers or symbols – maybe you see 11.11 every time you look at a clock or 111 on car number plates? Do you keep seeing an animal that you never noticed before? Maybe every time you go for a walk, you cross paths with an owl. The universe is sending you this to help you to wake up and take notice!
10. You feel alone – you may feel like you don’t have anyone you can talk to about what is going on, or that you just feel disconnected from everyone around you. You may go to a party that you would have loved in the past, but now you just feel like an outsider. A major part of a spiritual awakening is that you are on a solitary journey. Although there is a lot of help around now for people who are struggling, ultimately it is something that only you can get though in your own way. Going through this helps to lead you to feelings of oneness, where instead of going to that party and feeling different, you will go there and understand that we are all one. We all come from the same place and we’re all in this together.
Who knows why it is that so many people seem to be going through their own spiritual awakening in recent times?
Many believe this is a special time on the Earth, as many of us are seeing what is like to become awakened while also having an earthly/physical experience. It is thought that if enough of us go through this process at this time, we may be able to raise the vibration of the planet as a whole; allowing for a peaceful and fair way of living. This would obviously be amazing, but regardless of the reason for it happening, a spiritual awakening is a journey which is happening for a reason, so embrace it!
Are you going through a spiritual awakening? Please share your experience below.
Shar Jason loves to connect with people all over the world on Skype, through readings, regressions, and intuitive coaching. She is passionate about helping people to find their life purpose and guiding them through a spiritual awakening with online talks and intuitive readings www.sharjason.com.