Recently I wrote a code of ethics for my sessions. I wanted to explain my code of ethics here and give more details.
Unlike doctors, psychologists and mental health workers, there is no professional body that psychics or spiritual healers can belong to which says to clients that they take their role seriously. So I created my own code of ethics here, which I’ll explain in more detail.
Plus, there are the horror stories. I hear them from clients, from other psychics and it seems they are the reason why psychics generally have a bad reputation with some people. Perhaps it’s one of the reasons why some people don’t like the word ‘psychic’. I want to improve that if I can.
I’ve written about some of those horror stories here on my website.
Horror stories like:
1.“A psychic told me I was disconnected from source and a negative soul. I felt depressed for a whole week before I discovered your article on negative souls and realized it might not be true for me after all.”
2. “A psychic is offering to remove a very damaging curse someone cast on me, for $500. Should I take them up on this? Do you see any curses in my energy?”
3. “A psychic told me I was going to die early on in my life. Can you please check this for me?”
I will just say I have made mistakes in the past. I’ve done a few things that now make me blush because they were so obviously unhelpful for clients or communicated in a way that wasn’t helpful. You learn through making mistakes and you self-correct (hopefully). So I am by no means perfect.
But the thing about all this is that sometimes, people who come for psychic readings are in a vulnerable place. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I’ve been vulnerable in my spiritual search and I’ve been burned. That’s why I created this code for myself as a practitioner. And I decided to publish it here to spark discussion among those who do the same kind of work as me. Do you feel the same? Do you disagree?
Why Bother With Ethics?
I think it can be a powerful statement in the as-yet very unregulated profession of psychic readings and spiritual healing.
My Statement of Ethics:
1. A client’s trust is precious and I will always keep everything you tell me confidential.
2. I will never tell you about something negative (like an issue in your energy body or from your past) unless I have the tools to heal it with you there and then, or can refer you immediately to someone who can. I believe that pointing out an issue or something negative is pointless and can cause distress unless it is followed by a resolution.
Have you ever been told about something negative in your energy field and then the practitioner has blithely said they can’t help you with it? I’ve been in that position and it’s actually quite scary. It’s like an architect saying ‘I think your house is going to fall down sometime soon, but I can’t help you to stop it from happening.’ I was once told by a psychic that in a parallel lifetime, I was generating some very negative karma for myself through some irresponsible acts, but there was nothing we could do – I’d just have to resolve it in time. It was supposed to be a healing session, but it only created distress. I felt guilty and sad about it for three days. Then I decided to believe it might not be true for me. Now I only let very trusted healers take a look at my aura. For the same reason, I no longer talk in terms of negative attaching entities that run programs on people.
3. I do not believe in ‘negative souls’/dark souls/‘black magicians’ or whatever you want to call them. I will not tell you that you or anyone else is a negative or dark soul because I think it is a ridiculous and harmful idea to tell someone they are not connected to Source or God or whatever you want to call it. I have never had someone with truly malicious intent book a reading with me – ever. I know you have a connection to source.
I am not naive enough to think that there are no negative people in the world. But I sincerely doubt that any of them get a psychic reading wanting information on how they can express their soul gifts more fully or improve their relationships. I find it unacceptable to tell a client that they are disconnected from source/God and are draining those around them as a result, because I’ve seen the upset it causes.
4. I do not make psychic predictions because I believe it can undermine your personal and spiritual power to consciously choose the course of your life and can even have you putting your life on hold, waiting for the future to happen. We can explore what taking certain options will do to different areas of your life and aura, but I won’t give you concrete predictions of where you’re going, as if it is outside of your control.
I have received psychic predictions from other psychics. One told me I was going to marry my ex-boyfriend who was highly abusive at the time. I panicked at the thought of spending the rest of my life with a man who didn’t appreciate me and promptly chucked him. Other psychic predictions have kept me in a place where I sat around waiting for life to happen to me. I was disappointed because nothing happened. Psychic predictions have meant I wasted my time, so I personally won’t do them for others.
5. If you book a reading and I come to the conclusion at the start of a reading (or beforehand) that I cannot help you, I will refund you. I am skilled in some things – I can help you become more aware of your soul gifts, I can do cord-cutting and I can do aura readings. But if I get the sense it is not in your highest interests to get a session with me, I will refund your money and suggest another practitioner or course of action. If when I tune into you, I sense that you have booked the wrong kind of session (i.e. the session you’ve booked won’t help you), I will give you my recommendations for what kind of session to have instead.
I know that ethics are subjective and mine are shaped by my past experiences.